Passion and Purpose.
At Flamingo, cancer patients are at the center of everything we do. Our mission is to bring innovation to the field of oncology by creating new, targeted medicines based on novel antisense chemistries that improve the lives of patients.
Flamingo Therapeutics is a young, international and fast-growing biotech company in the field of cancer therapeutics. With a strategic partnership with Ionis Pharmaceuticals, the world leader in RNA therapeutics, we are aiming to develop next-generation treatments against targets considered “undruggable” by conventional chemistries. Our lab is based in the new Arenberg Accelerator in Leuven and we have team members in France and the USA.
We are seeking a highly motivated and enthusiastic Research Associate to join our international team in Leuven, Belgium. The successful candidate will play a critical role in supporting the translational research linked to our clinical programs and will work closely with a cross-functional team of scientists to drive the development of innovative cancer therapies.
- You will plan and execute experiments independently, in a safe, efficient and correct manner.
- You will contribute to the development of the new laboratory methods and assays to advance our understanding of cancer biology and drug mechanism of action.
- You will analyze data and maintain accurate and up-to-date laboratory records via the use of an electronic lab notebook system, reports and/or slide presentations.
- You will perform different molecular and biochemical techniques such as (qRT-)PCR, Western blotting, ELISA, IHC and flow cytometry.
- From time to time, you may be involved in performing animal experiments (e.g. tumor size measuring and tissue processing)
- You will participate in the daily laboratory management, which includes follow-up of the deliveries and stock management.
- Bachelor’s degree in laboratory technology, biotechnology, or Bachelor/Master’s in Life Sciences or equivalent.
- FELASA B certificate and with expertise in working with laboratory animals
- Strong laboratory skills, including experience with cell culture (mammalian cell lines and primary cells), molecular biology techniques (RT-qPCR), and biochemical assays (WB and ELISA)
- Experience in histology and/or FACS techniques (e.g. tissue processing and imaging) will be considered an asset.
- Since we are an international team, a good knowledge of English (written and oral) is needed.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Meticulous and with strong organizational skills
- Flexible and keen to learn new technologies.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
What we offer
We offer a full-time position in dynamic and stimulating work environment with opportunities for professional growth. If you are passionate about contributing to the development of innovative cancer therapies and have a strong work ethic, we would love to hear from you.
To apply, please submit your CV and a cover letter via:
Meet the Flock
What is your role at Flamingo?
I joined Flamingo as a scientist in August 2022, after a long experience as researcher in academia. My expertise is tumor immunology and immunotherapy. I am part of the pre-clinical translational research team, so I work back and forth from my desk and to the lab bench and vice versa to study new literature and data, write projects, design and perform experiments, present and discuss data, in a very dynamic and exciting process.
What do you love about your job?
What I like the most about my job is investing my energy, my time, and my skills for something meaningful for people living with, even if I am only a small piece of the whole system. Being part of a company that has a product in Phase 2 clinical trial and having the chance to see our research results directly translated into the clinic is a big responsibility, but it is also highly motiving and fulfilling.
Do you have a favorite motto, or words you live by?
Failure is an option, giving up is not.
What do you enjoy doing when not at Flamingo?
I recently became sport-addicted, so after work I often go the gym. I also like listening to music, watching TV series, and, as Italian, I love good food (eating but also cooking)!
We are looking to expand our flock with people who share our passion and purpose.
Send us a Message.
General Email: email@example.com
For information and media requests: